Tour Name: Pompeii and the Bay of Naples
8 days from £1195.
The Bay of Naples region is overflowing with world-class archaeology, fabulous scenery and a vibrant Italian culture. Exploring Pompeii and its surroundings, enjoy a spectrum of superb Roman sites in a landscape where nature and culture are spectacularly interwoven.
- Charming Italian hotel in a wonderful location on the Bay of Naples.
- All breakfasts, an included 3-course evening meal and a further half-board option.
- A scholarly pick of the region’s famous sites and lesser-known gems.
- A balance of full and shorter days.
- Accompanied by a specialist tour director and by local Italian guides.
- Flexible flight arrangements.
- 100% TTA financial guarantee.
Dates & Prices:
• 27 May – 03 June 2017. Not available.
• 02-09 September 2017. Only £1195. Places available. Book Here
Half-board option: Include more evening meals for only £18 per night.
Reserve your place early for a best price guarantee. Single supplement £190.
Full Itinerary: See the ‘Itinerary’ tab below.
Flights and Extended Stays: Direct flights are available from a range of UK regional airports from as little as £100 return. By adding flights on a personal basis we give you complete freedom to choose your preferred departure airport, flight times, length of stay, airline etc. We will be pleased to book your flights for you, and any extended stays, and we can recommend a preferred flight. Or you can book your own if you prefer. Our flights are ATOL protected. See ‘Flights’ tab below.
Why Pompeii? Click Here to see our brief overview of the archaeology and history of the region.
What to Expect: For what to expect more generally from our tours Click Here.
As a member of the Travel Trust Association we provide you with a 100% financial protection guarantee. Click Here to find out more about the Travel Trust Association.
Click the ‘How to Book’ tab below to Reserve Your Place
Reserve early to avoid disappointment and to benefit from the best available prices.
DAY 2: PAESTUM: This gem of a site is often missed by tours but is a magnificent introduction to the archaeology of the region. Its Greek foundation sets the scene, and its splendidly preserved temples are amongst the finest examples from anywhere in the ancient world. It is a beautiful, impressive site in a quiet setting which allows us to appreciate the origins of Roman culture. Your tour director will highlight the themes, and your included dinner in the hotel this evening is the perfect way to relax and socialise.
DAY 3: HERCULANEUM AND VILLA OPLONTIS: Herculaneum is often referred to as one of the ‘Vesuvian Cities’ because, like Pompeii, it was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. Its smaller size and exceptionally good preservation give us intimate insights into a colourful, close-knit community, which helps prepare us for tomorrow’s visit to Pompeii. The nearby Villa Oplontis, with its stunning frescoes, helps us further appreciate the range of sites in the wider Pompeian landscape. An early evening lecture by your tour director will also explore some broader themes in Pompeian archaeology in preparation for tomorrow’s visit to Pompeii.
DAY 4: POMPEII: Pompeii grew into a thriving commercial centre in the favoured Roman resort area of the Bay of Naples until obliterated in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. That event created one of the world’s most important archaeological sites to which we dedicate a whole day exploring the ancient townscape. A guided tour is followed by as much time as you like to wander freely through its backstreets and decide for yourself when to return to the hotel – the easy 20 minute train ride is included.
DAYS 5: NAPLES & NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGY MUSEUM: Naples is today the fascinating, colourful, metropolitan heart of the region. It began life as one of the earliest Greek colonies in Italy and reached its zenith as a royal capital of medieval, renaissance and Bourbon kings. We tour the city and pay particular attention to it’s National Archaeology Museum which is the principal home for antiquities from Pompeii and the region. We include a tour of its stunning collections of frescoes, mosaics, statuary and everyday objects from Roman times.
DAY 6: POZZUOLI AND PHLEGRAEAN FIELDS: In Roman times the largest town on the Bay of Naples was neither Pompeii nor Naples but Pozzuoli, which grew as the major commercial port. It was correspondingly embellished with fine buildings, including one of the largest amphitheatres in the empire and now one of the best places to see the underground structures of a gladiatorial arena. Continuing around the bay towards Cape Misenum, we discover the popularity of this stretch of coast in Roman times; prestigious and fashionable, it attracted the rich and famous and was also the main naval base for the Roman Imperial fleet. Pliny the Younger witnessed the eruption of Mount Vesuvius from here, and Robert Harris took inspiration form the huge water cisterns for the opening scene of his novel on Pompeii. We visit Baiae, one of the most impressive villas on the bay.
DAY 7: FREE DAY: There are so many things to see in this region that it is difficult to fit them all into a week. A free/optional day therefore works very well to allow people to pursue their interests. Your tour director can help with ideas such as joining an excursion to Capri, Vesuvius or Amalfi, enjoying Sorrento, or just relaxing and doing your own thing.
DAY 8: DEPARTURE: You will be transferred from your hotel to the airport for your flight home, or why not stay longer and make the most of your time in Italy – feel free to ask us for information and ideas.
Map & Virtual Tour
We stay at one of two charming hotels in the small town of Vico Equense, perfectly placed on the beautiful Sorrento Peninsula. Both hotels are a similar standard and offer fabulous views across the Bay of Naples from their terraces, gardens and balconies. They each have an excellent restaurant of their own and are located within easy walking distance of the town’s local shops, restaurants and train station, giving easy access to the region. The ideal place to relax between trips into the cultural delights of Campania.
The Hotel Oriente.
Corso Filangieri, 8, 80069 Vico Equense (Naples).
Tel: +39 081 801 5522.
Which Airline?: A wide choice of scheduled, charter and low-cost airlines regularly fly direct to Naples from a large number of UK airports. These include British Airways, EasyJet, Monarch Airlines, Thomas Cook, and Thomson.
Fares: Ask us for a quote. Use the reservation/enquiry form or call us on 0121 444 1854.
ATOL Protection: If you book your flights with us you will be ATOL protected, which means that you will not lose your money or be stranded abroad if we or the airline go out of business. If you book your own flights they may not be ATOL protected, even if you book direct with the airline or through an online search facility.
All Hidden History’s tours include a host of fully guided excursions and interesting talks to create an enriching travel experience. They also include some luxury and leisure by choosing great hotels and keeping the itineraries fairly relaxed and varied. More about What to Expect…
The Pompeii & Bay of Naples tour price includes the following:
- Seven nights bed and breakfast hotel accommodation*.
- An included 3-course evening meal on day 2 of the tour.
- Outward and return transfers to/from Naples airport and your hotel*.
- Daily programme of excursions as stated with coaching, guiding and entrances.
- Accompanied by a specialist tour director and by local guides.
- Travel Trust Association financial guarantee.
* Add extra evening meals in the hotel for only £16 per night.
* Transfers may be charged if flying on days other than the start and end dates of the tour.
What’s not included:
- Flights to/from Naples. We can help with this – call us on 0121 444 1854 for a quote.
- Personal Travel & Medical Insurance. Available from Holiday Extras – Click Here for a quote.
For more about what to expect generally from our tours Click Here.
How to Book
- Reservations & Enquiries: To reserve your place or enquire further simply fill in the form below, or call us on (UK) 0121 444 1854. There is no commitment and no payment at this stage; reservations are purely provisional until we have confirmed availability and proceeded with booking and payment.
- Booking & Payment: Once you have checked availability and reserved your place, we will require your full details and a deposit of £250 per person to secure your booking. This can be done with a credit/debit card over the telephone (0121-444-1854) or by sending us a completed booking form and cheque. To print a booking form CLICK HERE.
See our booking conditions for further details.
‘Pompeii & Bay of Naples’ Reservation/Enquiry Form
Share this page: by